Home

Wednesday, April 7, 2010

April Fools??

Is our son already playing jokes on us??
Allow me to fill you in on what's been going on in the Overton household the last week.

It all started back in Lubbock a couple of weekends ago. I was telling my mom and sister to feel my belly.."It's all baby...feel!!". They both felt and looked at each other then nicely said "Um, Jay, that's a contraction." OOOHH, that's what that is! HA, I started to wonder about those feelings I was having. I thought "he sure does move this way a lot."

It all clicked right then and there. I've been having contractions from the beginning of conception it seems. I always told Shawn about this feeling that I was having but I didn't know what it was. I thought it was the baby stretching.

"How can she not know that she was having contractions" you ask?? Well, like I said...I have been having these since VERY early on in our pregnancy...I didn't think they would come so often. I also thought I would feel some sort of pain with them.

Back to the story, I finished out my weekend in Lubbock all the while noticing that these contractions were not giving me a break. I felt like I was having them constantly. I brushed them off thinking that they were Braxton Hicks contractions. That following Tuesday I went in for a sonogram...still contracting...and was put on meds to stop them. *Read the previous post for the full story*

That medicine was the most awful stuff!! I was so jittery and felt like my heart was going to beat out of my chest. Well, Thursday comes along and we drive into Pampa for our child birthing classes. In that class we learned that if you are before 37 weeks and are having more than 4 contractions in an hour you need to let someone know. That's when I started looking at the clock. 1...2...3...4....yep 4 contractions in less than an hour. During our break I found the nurse teaching the class and she suggested that we go upstairs just to get checked out.

I did a few things throughout the remainder of the class that she suggested but still had 2 contractions in less than 30 minutes. So, we go upstairs to get checked out.

After they poked me 5 times and finally got the IV in the doctor came in to check me. Thankfully, I wasn't dilating. BUT she wanted to keep me over night to monitor the contractions since they were coming so close together and were pretty strong. She informed me that these were definitely not Braxton Hicks contractions...they were full blown!

So, Shawn and I spent a sleepless night in the hospital on April Fools praying that when morning came I would still be just contracting and not progressing into anything that they couldn't stop. The doctor gave me some new medicine...I like it so much more! She checked me and released me.

We head home only to have a very busy weekend with my parents. Shawn and my dad worked so hard on installing our new counter tops...pictures coming soon..and cleaning up our front yard...pictures of that coming soon too! My mom helped me in the nursery and we put together his swing they bought him. I couldn't do much since I was told to treat the rest of my pregnancy as if I were on bedrest. Not all out bedrest...but be cautious of how long you are up.

BUT, when I am up doing things the contractions just come one after the other. So, I tell myself to lie down and they begin to slow down. They slow down until my sweet man gets home from work...then they start back up. I jokingly told him that he needed to move out for at least 2 weeks because he is going to make me go into labor.

This is long so I'll sum it up.
*Had contractions, spent April fools in the hospital. (baby boy will get a talking to for that one hehe)
*Still having contractions but taking it easy.
*No pain with the contractions, but they can be so frequent that they take my breath away and make me feel like I just worked out.
*I am on weekly visits with my doctor now.
*We got to fall asleep to our sweet son's heartbeat at the hospital.
*AND he had the hiccups while the monitor was on and we could hear those...so sweet.
*He is living in there as if nothing is going on out here. So he's doing great!!
*He's growing too!! I feel it...

Stay tuned for new pictures of projects and my belly at 34 weeks!


No comments: